Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? Does Anybody Really Care?

I awoke to Hayden crawling in our bed.

Ben and I lift our heads, see the clock says 12:45 and we tell him to go back to sleep. Really, I was just watching Letterman, I can't have only 1 1/2 hours of sleep.

Hayden continues complaining that he wants to go downstairs, "I'm hungry," he says.

My reply, and it is pretty brilliant, "What a bummer Hayden, I guess you should have eaten dinner."

It is a brilliant reply because not only did I remember Love and Logic, but I remembered he didn't want to eat dinner. And all this is happening at 12:45 in the morning.

Time passes, he wiggles, and he pleads and finally goes back to his room.

And then Griffin climbs in the middle of the bed. "Go back to sleep," we tell him and he does.

I continue laying there awake, wondering how I am going to deal with this busy day on only 1 1/2 hours of sleep, and then...the heat comes on.

This is strange because my brother-in-law just installed a new programmable thermostat AND I just programmed it two days ago.

I know the heat is supposed to kick on at 5:45 am, not 2:07 am.

What is going on?

What was that noise?

Why is it getting so hot in here?

OH NO, Suddenly it makes perfect sense.

A burglar has broken in, he turned up the heat to make it uncomfortable to sleep, then when I go downstairs to turn the heat down, he will thump me on the head and horrible things will happen.

OH NO, What am I going to do? Why is Ben sleeping through this? How much hotter can it get in here?

Ben sneezes, "Hey, while you are up," I say to him, "Can you please go check out the thermostat because it is really hot in here and the heat isn't supposed to come on until 5:45am. I will stay here by the phone in case I have to call for back up."

He goes downstairs, I wait for the thump on the head.....no thump. I go downstairs.

"The time on the thermostat is wrong, no wonder it came on already" he says.

"Ok, I'll reset it, what time is it?" I am thinking it must be 2:15 am by now.

"The kitchen clock says 6:00am.....oh, the clock upstairs is wrong. How did that happen?"

And so that was the way our day began, at 12:45 am and then time warped to 6:00 am. Does anybody really know what time it is?

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I hope you get some sleep tonight!!! Maybe it's the full moon making everything crazy.

Kristen said...

Okay I am laughing because I do the same thing... I think the worst, I would have thought of some crazy burgler also. I hope you get more sleep tonight.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

That would just throw my entire day off!