Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lost that lovin' feeling? No way!

Every time I hear "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" I smile and think back to twenty years ago.

In college I worked in the neighborhood pizzeria, Giovanni's. This was back in the day when Giovanni's was a real pizza restaurant, before the constant 2.99 buffet. So the year is 1988 and I am working the cash register for a sports banquet. We had a lot of these for local sports tournaments. This teenage boy comes to the counter and starts to talk to me and then his friend says, "I'll take care of this," and they break out in "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling." Remember the scene from Top Gun when Tom Cruise puts the moves on Kelly McGillis.

The restaurant was packed. I was beyond embarrassed. I tried to duck for cover but my co-workers wouldn't let me escape. When I think back on that day, I can't tell you what the boys looked like, or how many people stopped what they were doing to watch, but I can tell you whenever I hear that song I am 18 years old in my cute skinny jeans with a huge grin on my very red face. So where ever you guys are (and you must be almost 40 by now too) thanks for the song and I still have that lovin' feeling.

No comments: