Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spring Break

Spring break is quickly approaching. Last year we did this. It was fun. I love taking a vacation in your hometown. We discovered a new museum, took a short drive to a historic area and were home every night in time to make dinner.

This year we are doing this. It is a 17 hour drive. No problem, we have two drivers...oh wait, Ben can't get vacation time over spring break. Ummm, ok, I can do it myself. I just have to remember to wear my big girl panties.

I am already scouring the stores for cheap games, activities, and dvds that will keep the three boys busy while Mommy drives them to California.

So far I have:

Temporary tattoos, complete this with a few Ziplocked wet paper towels and we will have a mobile tattoo shop.

Playdoh, yeah nutty idea but it should come off leather seats, right?

Two car dvd scene it games

Travel game and riddle books from the library
Do you have other ideas? What keeps your children acting like angels on a long road trip?

Since we started Dave we try to do everything with cash and inexpensively. I noticed that the credit card we no longer use had some reward points I could cash in.


We should be receiving the following gift cards:

2 $10 Burger King, for road food

$25 Blockbuster, for purchasing used dvds

$25 Starbucks, mommy juice

$75 Best Western, one night stay on the road

Once in California we will be staying with my brother and sister-in-law. I have big plans for seeing Balboa Park and all the museums, the beach (of course), Legoland is a definite possibility also.

The boys are saving their allowance/commission from the chore chart for souvenirs. I am saving the basketball referee money (from Ben) for admission charges.

It is a crazy, long drive. I am probably insane. But who could resist this?


Linda and Vinny



Summer 2005, hot tub party

The kids have Thursday and Friday off for parent/teacher conferences so we can leave Thursday morning. I plan to make it to Winslow, Arizona by the evening. Yes, I will be taking a picture of the boys standing on a corner. (Google the lyrics for Take it Easy by The Eagles if you didn't get the reference) We should pull into Vista, California by early evening on Friday.

I have three more weeks to prepare myself and find those big girl panties.


8 comments:

Hillary said...

Good luck! Snicker, snicker. ;)

MeKimka said...

It's only 17 hours from CS to SD? Ugh, that's still too close to the outlaws for me.

MeKimka said...

Check your Entertainment book for Legoland coupons. We had fun there last summer, but I thought it was $$$$.

Shasta said...

Wow! You are braver than I. I would totally do the trip but not without the husband to drive! I bet you guys will have a blast and it sounds like you have it planned out so well. Can't wait to see the picture of the boys on the corner, too funny! Hope you have a great and safe trip, and tons of fun! Hope you get to do Legoland too, my boys would love that!

Monica said...

Wow.

Erin said...

Have a great time! My son and I traveled a 14 hour trip together alone this past Christmas. He's only four and he did wonderfully! I brought a bunch of books, lots of paper and pencils/pens, dvd's, and his portable leapster. Road games are also a fun way to pass time!

Anonymous said...

You brave brave BRAVE woman!

Is the hubby going too, or just you and the boys?

I am "toying" with the idea of a road trip with the Little Imp...just a two, maybe three day gig. I don't know if I could do more than 2 hours at a time with LI. She is NOT a car kid. Not for long drives anyhow.

Beth Wright (P31 OBS Team Member) said...

you should check these out http://tinyurl.com/b2yxgu. OR these http://tinyurl.com/aj2tjd We have several sort of like the second group and the boys really like playing it!

Good luck!