Monday, May 26, 2008

It's almost over

Is the school year over already? For my kids the answer is yes. Wednesday is the last day for Carter and Griffin. The School in the Woods (SITW) had the end of the year celebration last Tuesday. I am sure you know by now that SITW is a special 4th grade school for our school district. A handful of students get chosen to attend for the year (lottery based) and they learn everything other 4th graders learn but with an emphasis on nature. Pond sample studies, animal tracking, weather observations, hiking, etc, it is truly an amazing experience for these kids. All of the pictures are from the school, our district has access to over 640 wooded acres for these kids to explore.
All 52 kids came hiking in to where the parents waited singing songs of naturalists.



The students took turns telling everyone what they would take away from SITW, Carter said "a new love of the natural world."



Then we enjoyed some cake and fellowship with the other families. And Hayden enjoyed the hula hoops.



"Really mom, I don't want any pictures."


"Fine just a couple of my tile for the tile wall." Each year the students make a tile, that is proudly displayed on a large frame with all the other student tiles on the side of the school.




This was a fantastic year for Carter. If your children have the opportunity to experience anything like this, do it! I know other schools are trying to use SITW as a model for their own nature school, I hope one pops up by you.

7 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

That is too cool! My older daughter is in 4th grade--she would love that!

McMommy said...

Wow!! I have never heard of anything like that before! Very very cool! And congrats to Carter...you must be quite proud, momma!

Homegrown Tribe said...

I have never heard of anything like that before... too cool! I am so excited for school to be over. Only 2 more weeks. :)

Brittany

MommyTime said...

What an incredibly great school idea. I love it.

By the way, I have this "minima" template too (like a gazillion other people), and I have to say that I don't think I've ever seen anyone's done up as nicely as yours. I have a designer tweaking mine right now...I can only hope...

McMommy said...

Me again....only this time I'm saying...Happy POW!

amanda said...

oh my - as a teacher i sooo love this idea!! can i bring it back to kansas?? maybe/if/when i ever go back to the classroom i can get more details??

happy POW :)

btw - u live in co and you come to branson?? seriously?? do you love pork rinds and the smells of silver dollar city as much as i do??

Rachel said...

What a great school idea. And great pictures! Happy POW!